A Call To Courage

So I was blessed and honored to have the opportunity to speak at the Uprising Generation, SHEC's youth group, on Wednesday Oct. 26th.  I spoke on the subject of fear and some methods to combat fear with courage based out of the first chapter of Joshua.


The link to the sermon video is here. At SHEC's website you can also download the manuscript, but below I've pasted a resource that I handed out to the folks in attendance. Just a list of some bible verses that address fear, how to gain courage through Christ, and great assurances of God's promises to us. As God instructs Joshua, one of the ways to be strong and courageous is to read and meditate on God's word. So I hope that these verses can encourage you in that way.


A CALL TO COURAGE

Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”
(Deuteronomy 31:6 ESV)

No man shall be able to stand before you all the days of your life. Just as I was with Moses, so I will be with you. I will not leave you or forsake you. Be strong and courageous, for you shall cause this people to inherit the land that I swore to their fathers to give them. Only be strong and very courageous, being careful to do according to all the law that Moses my servant commanded you. Do not turn from it to the right hand or to the left, that you may have good success wherever you go. This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go.”
(Joshua 1:5-9 ESV)

Then David said to Solomon his son, “Be strong and courageous and do it. Do not be afraid and do not be dismayed, for the LORD God, even my God, is with you. He will not leave you or forsake you, until all the work for the service of the house of the LORD is finished.
(1 Chronicles 28:20 ESV)

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
(Psalm 27:1 ESV)

For I, the LORD your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, “Fear not, I am the one who helps you.”
(Isaiah 41:13 ESV)

So have no fear of them, for nothing is covered that will not be revealed, or hidden that will not be known.
(Matthew 10:26 ESV)

For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”
(Romans 8:15 ESV)

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
(1 Corinthians 16:13 ESV)

For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
(2 Timothy 1:7 ESV)

Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” So we can confidently say, “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear; what can man do to me?”
(Hebrews 13:5-6 ESV)

There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
(1 John 4:18 ESV)

0 comments:

Post a Comment