Why...

I've tried the whole blog thing before, didn't really take.  I guess I kinda feel like nobody really cares to hear my point of view on things that probably don't interest them. 


But I know that God is pushing me to speak more boldly for Him, and recently I've been very actively pursuing knowledge and training in scripture.  So that I can be equipped and prepared to speak about Him, no matter if it's publicly preaching, leading our Community Group in biblical discussion each week, or just a conversation with a stranger or a coworker who doesn't know Jesus.  And I hope that you find the topic of Jesus interesting, because He is the most important thing in your life.


This is why I've decided to write this blog.  I think it'll help me become a better speaker and teacher, I think it'll give me an avenue on which to share what I'm learning, and I hope that it'll be beneficial to those who read it (if anyone does).


Here's what you need to know:


1) I'm a Christ follower
-That means that my whole life is devoted to worship and service of the one, true, and living God.  He sent His Son Jesus to die in our place for our sins.  Jesus has saved me from death, Hell, and destruction; and has enabled me to live a better life.  So I'm going to spend the rest of my time on Earth seeking Him and His glory.


2) I have an amazing wife and a wonderful little baby boy.  
- You'll hear about them a lot.  Stacy and I have been married for just over 3 years now, and she really is a blessing from God.  She challenges me where I need to be challenged, and covers me where I am weak.  Our son, Boaz Driscoll Potter, is less than a year old, but is already a theology professor as he has taught me so much about God and His love.


3) I'm really into Reformed Theology
- What does that even mean?  It means that I believe the Bible and use it as the only real truth in this world.  And when you read the Bible and follow what it says without trying to manipulate it, you find that some controversial issues are actually quite clear.
So I'm a Calvinist, I love to read books by guys like Charles Spurgeon, Jonathon Edwards, Martin Luther (old, dead guys).  And some living guys like John Piper, Mark Driscoll, Tim Keller, and C.J. Mahaney.  I take this stuff seriously because not only is it incredibly interesting to study and learn about God, but it's incredibly important to have a right understanding of who we are compared to God and how we are to follow Him.


4) I'm kind of a geek...ok, REALLY a geek....but a redeemed geek
 - I love technology more Kip from Napoleon Dynamite.  I love superheroes, video games, science fiction, I was in Speech and Drama in high school, and I can quote more movies and TV shows than anybody should be able to.  
But thankfully, God has redeemed my love of culture, media, and geeky things.  I know that nothing of this world matters compared to the glory of God.  And He's even enabled me to be just as geeky and passionate about theology.  So I can enjoy and relate to a lot of things in culture, and use culture to relate to people who need to meet Jesus, and still operate as a Christian.  


So I hope that you enjoy this, possibly get something out of it, but above all I hope that God is glorified in everything that we do.  Please feel free to leave comments and feedback, nothing better than engaging in Christ centered discussion!


-Jesse

0 comments:

Post a Comment